Tuesday, October 27, 2009

swine flu

Somebody mentioned this in a comment and I was curious, who is getting the H1N1 shot and/or the flu shot? I am in my third trimester, with a month left to go and work at a university. I am in all the "must get one" categories, and have decided not to get one right now. Every time I see a doctor they are pushing one or both shots (even though we do not have the H1N1 vaccine yet) and the whole thing makes me nervous. It isn't so much that I think it is going to do permanent damage to me and my baby...but just all the unknowns out there and I am so close to actually having the baby. I have never gotten the flu shot before, and my mom, I just found out, is allergic to it. Then there is the whole other factor that just because I get the shot, doesn't necessarily mean that my baby gets the benefits. And then my mom (who works at an OB) said that if you get the regular flu shot, you should wait 4 weeks to get the H1N1 shot...there is just too much information and nothing seems to sound legitimate, and it all just seems like they are trying to scare you into getting the shot. So basically I am rambling, but this is all the stuff that is floating around in my head. So for right now, I am washing my hands ALL THE TIME, which isn't that difficult since I am pregnant and am always in the bathroom :) and using Purell constantly. If it gets really bad and there is an "outbreak" at work, then I will reconsider...what about everybody else?

Mel

4 comments:

  1. i got the flu shot at my last ob appointment, but even he said not to worry about the h1n1. since flu season really extends into march, he said it was more to make sure i didn't get so sick or such a high fever that i would be unable to breastfeed. i'm with you on the other shot though... too many unknowns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually got the shot on last Thursday. My ob had a limited supply, and since I work with children all day he recommended I go ahead and get it done. I did wait the month between my shots. I usually get the seasonal flu shot because of my work environment, and have never been allergic, and because the same method is used to manufacture the H1N1 shot, I felt safe with getting it also. I have had about 15 cancelations over the past month for kids with the swine flu, and I knew it was just a matter of time before I was exposed. I too am ADDICTED to Purell. I buy it in bulk and keep it in my purse, car, work bag, and home. I even keep a travel thing of lysol to spray down the pianos the kids use. So many kids and their germy hands touching a piano freaks me out. Just call me captain OCD.
    ~Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got the regular flu shot about a month ago. I don't get it every year but since I work in education, I thought it was a good idea. And then Todd got H1N1. That was a little freaky and we took lots of precautions, he was quarantined to the guest bedroom and we had masks to use if we interacted, and lots of purell and hand washing. I actually ended up getting a cold at the same time and we were out of work/school for 2 days at the same time but I never ran a fever or anything. I go see my midwife tomorrow so I'm going to see what she thinks about it. I'll report back!

    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got the regular flu shot at the beginning of October, and my OB's office had the swine flu shot available at my last appointment, but it had not yet been 1 month since my regular flu shot so I could not get it. Honestly, I think I am going to resist for now. This vaccine came out way too fast, and I really don't think any of the doctors know that much about it. It seems like they are all endorsing it just because the CDC says they should. I need more info. before I decide to get it.

    ReplyDelete