Sunday, October 25, 2009

Overwhelmed

Adam and I figured that now that we know we are having a little boy, it was time to register! I kept going over in my head what a fun day it would be. I was trigger happy 6 years ago for our wedding, and now I get to scan my little heart away with cute baby things. What could possibly go wrong!?! It wasn't that anything went wrong. It was just all so overwhelming! How many washcloths do we actually need? Will we go through that many sets of crib sheets? Do we go with the stroller system or a normal car seat? And baby proofing! I didn't even want to think about how many outlet covers we would need for this house. I ended up completely overwhelmed with sore feet and a feeling of inadequacy that poor Adam had to deal with the rest of the night (and into this morning.) I'm sure it will all work out, and luckily I have you all to bounce ideas off of. Let me know if there's anything you regret registering for, or that you wish you could go back and put on a few more items.

On a very happy note, our baby boy has a name! Isaac Bishop Coleman. He is a very active little man. Like clockwork he starts practicing his golf swing at 9:15 every morning. His favorite spot is with his feet right up at the top of my tummy. I'm sure that when he's bigger he'll be kicking my ribs to no end. It really is the coolest feeling though. I can't wait until Adam can feel it also. I'm sure any week now he'll get to feel his little gymnast in action.

~Andrea

2 comments:

  1. uggg, I remember registering...not quite like doing it for a wedding. My saving grace was a blog I follow by alpha mom, if you guys haven't read her stuff you are really missing some fun. You might need to search for registering advice, but it really helped out looking at what she suggested and going online and finding what you like and reading the reviews and feeling free to change my mind. I think she gives you a break down of what you "need now" for about 4 weeks and then also gives you a list on things you might want to wait on...

    As for everything else like car seats and strollers...try them out. Don't try to pick them out immediately, and ask your friends what they like. We ended up with a Chico car seat. It got great safety reviews, and two of my best friends have one and loved it. The only complaint I have heard is that it is heavy (can hold up to 32 lbs). As for a stroller, we opted for a snap and go (that could go with the Chico, not the Graco brand) that we will use initally. It is no frills but super lite weight. Some people really like the ease of the travel system and some people dont like how bulky they tend to be. We also went for a Bob Reveloution jogger. With this purchase I think we went to three different baby stores so my husband can try out different strollers at different price points and see what he actually liked. I knew I wanted the BOB, but I wanted him to know the difference to justify the cost. We do a lot of walking and wanted something that was really going to meet our activity level. And again, I know somebody that has one and loves it. The one complaint I heard about this one is that it is bulky, their is little storage, and you have to buy accessories, like a cup holder. Hope all this helps out! Good luck :)

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree that it is best to ask around and get recommendations. my friend had an eddie bauer travel system and hated the carseat. also, the strollers tend to be so bulky and heavy and take up a lot of space in most cars if you have to take them with you somewhere. so we went with the snap-on stroller (like Mel) for it's convenience and ease. also, lots cheaper.

    i also found that most websites that have registries (like target) have very thorough checklists. my thought was to register for anything and everything we might need and then sort through it all and make returns closer to the due date if need be. and make you you do regsiter for the fun stuff too! cute clothes and baby toys make it a lot more fun.

    we also decided to wait on the baby-proofing. it does add a lot more to think about and you really don't need to do it til the baby is crawling and pulling up, which could be as long as 8 months or so!

    ReplyDelete