We have discovered that Hadley is very prissy. She just smiles and smiles in the mornings when we put lotion on her and dress her up.
Hadley's belly is getting so big that when she is lying on her back, it sticks up in the air further than her head. So when we give her a bath, I am always afraid when I wash her belly that the water will run down into her face.
A Boppy is good for bottle feeding too, it's not just for breastfeeders.
Is breastfeeding one or two words? I see it both ways and don't know which is correct, so I have just been alternating the way I write/type it every time.
We`are trying very hard not to encourage finger/thumb sucking, so we have been putting the mitten cuffs on Hadley's onesies over her hands at night. Well, she does not ever like any of our little "plans" for her. We knew we were in trouble when the nurses at the hospital where she was born said she had a lot of "personality". She has learned how to get her fingers out of her mitten cuffs, and we have woken up several times the last few nights to the sound of her sucking on her fingers. She still won't take a passy except in the early evenings when we are holding her, so now I don't know what we will do. Any suggestions?
Hadley does not stay on her back well when we put her down to sleep. She usually immediately rolls onto her side. We have been using a sleep positioner to keep her on her back, but when we had to incline the mattress because of her reflux, she was sliding down and I was afraid she would get stuck between the two positioners. So, I was looking up solutions on the web. I found a few solutions: (1) the Tucker Sling (which is basically akin to tying your baby to the crib), and (2) one website actually suggested a blanket wrap method where you wrap your baby's arms a certain way and then tuck the blanket under the crib mattress--which basically constitutes tying your baby to the crib. So, what I gathered from the web research was that it is okay to tie your baby to the crib, but don't EVER let your baby sleep in any position other than on her back. Maybe I'm crazy, but that just does not make much sense to me.
I asked the pediatrician about this, and she gave us a couple more solutions, which were actually helpful--(1) roll up a blanket and put it in the shape of a U underneath the crib sheet so that it catches the baby's feet and she doesn't slide down and (2) just put her down on her back, and then don't worry about which way she turns. What we actually ended up doing was taking one of the positioners from our extra sleep positioner and placing it at the bottom of the sleep positioner she is sleeping on--similar to the "U" blanket solution the pediatrician recommended. Soon she (hopefully) will be too long for this to work as a viable solution anymore, and then I think we will just put her down on her back without the positioner and I will try not to worry about it. But in case anyone else was wondering about this issue, I thought I would share the results of our research.
That's all my random thoughts for now--next post will be a little more coherent.
--Amanda
Thursday, February 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Laine likes to sleep on her side too... as long as they can roll into and out of the side position it's supposed to be fine. Just always put them down on their backs. That's what I've heard anyway, and what our doc said.
ReplyDeletemy henry sucked his two fingers constantly for a couple of months. then he stopped. no reason. as far as child development goes, babies and children generally suck because they need that stimulation. when they don't need it anymore they outgrow it, or stop. i don't think letting her suck her fingers will hurt her in the long run. she will turn out a smart, beautiful girl no matter what!
ReplyDeleteemily's sister.
We put Andrew to sleep on his back to, but everyday he wakes up on his side. I know it is just a matter of time before he starts rolling over with the way he kicks and jerks. We never did anything different with his sleeping positions with reflux. Actually now that I think about it, we kind of positioned him somewhere between his side and his back in the beginning when we were still swaddling him. Now that he is rolling around on his side, he is loosy goosy, and I believe that is the way he perfers it!
ReplyDeleteAs for finger sucking...Andrew never liked his pacifier, which I know is a good thing in the long run. He sucked his thumb for about three days, and hasn't done it since that I am aware of...but he LOVED nibbling on his wrist. I read somewhere that mittens were "controversial" so to speak. Obviously there are need for them, especially if they are scratching their eyes out, but on the negative side, babies use their hands fo sensory reason, and by limitting that behaviour wasn't the best idea. The way I see it, it is like anything else...damned if you do and damned if you don't :)
Laine likes trying to get her ENTIRE fist into her mouth. She's started finding her thub sometimes now... I figure she'll outgrow it, and I agree with Katherine; it's one of the only ways they have to expore things right now so it's probably good for them in some sense.
ReplyDelete