Friday, February 12, 2010

Breastfeeding woes, continued...

I know I left you guys with a teaser a couple of days ago, promising a post about Nipple Yeast Infections. I didn't want y'all to wait too long so here it is! Don't worry, no pictures in this post! :-P

So I described all of the contraptions we went through trying to get the hang of breast feeding but that's not all I've contended with. Here are the physical issues:

I thought I had what is called 'nipple vasospasms.' (http://www.pregnancy-info.net/breastfeeding_nipple_vasospasms.html) My nipples would blanche, turn white, when I would nurse or when they would get cold. Every time Molly would latch on I would feel a sensation similar to a knife going in my nipple and coming out my shoulder blade. I was nauseous every time I nursed.

Greer and I go to a New Mamas group at a place here in Athens on Thursday mornings and I was able to talk to some of them about what I was experiencing. A few of the women thought my symptoms sounded a lot like a yeast infection or Thrush. I called my midwife that day and she agreed that it sounded like yeast and she called in a prescription for me to pick up that day. I started taking Diflucan and using All Purpose Nipple Ointment. 2 days later, I was feeling great! Nursing was getting so much easier...

Of course that couldn't be the end of it. 3 days ago the pain started coming back and now my whole breast will randomly burn and tighten. Fun? Not so much. I called my midwife again and she thinks that Molly probably has thrush, or yeast in her mouth, and we are passing it back and forth. So, I now have to take my medicine for a month, instead of 2 weeks. Molly is now taking Nystatin (which she seems to like) for 2 weeks. And I'm still using the ointment.

The pain has definitely gone back down and nursing is getting easier again. I still feel the burning every once and a while but I'm hopeful that that will subside. I had a meltdown on the phone with my mom cause I found that I was dreading feeding my daughter and I kept wanting her to sleep 'just 30 min more'. Why continue breastfeeding? I don't know, I just feel like during the days and weeks that Molly and I get it right, it's fabulous! I actually enjoy it when all things function correctly. :-D

Hopefully, once over this infection, our breastfeeding woes will come to an end!!!

Emily

1 comment:

  1. Again, very impressed with your determination. I'm glad you enjoy it when it works... hopefully now your road will get smoother and you'll be able to enjoy it more often. I think the key things are patience and not feeling guilty. As long as you are doing what is best for you and your baby, you're being a good mommy.

    ReplyDelete