Thursday, May 13, 2010

So, babies are fun!

The silliest things make you feel accomplished when you are a new mom. You never quite know if you're doing things right until you start to see that tiny thing you brought home from the hospital turn into an adorable, mischievous, smiling person right before your eyes. This past week as been one of incredible progress for Isaac, and I'll say, for ME as a mommy!

The first big thing that happened last Thursday, was Isaac rolled over for the first time, and followed it up quickly with his second time! It was incredible to watch him figure it out, and I wish I had the video camera closer to catch it. It was so special though that both Adam and I were there to see him do it for the first time. He just rolled over and then gave us the biggest smile ~ probably because we were cheering so loud for him! It was adorable.
We're also experimenting with our sleep habits, and we've had some success! Isaac is actually a great napper, and goes down like clock work 3 times a day at the same times. Unfortunately, they were either always on his tummy (under supervision) or swaddled. Well, since going back to work 2 days a week, we've had some issues getting the nanny to actually duplicate our success. I don't trust her to supervise the way I would if Isaac is on his tummy, and I know it sounds silly, but she just doesn't swaddle Isaac the way he likes to be swaddled. Not napping just 2 days a week has really messed up the poor boy's sleep schedule at night. In a desperate attempt to get our boy back on schedule, we're trying to just swaddle with one arm, and we've had success today! I think the biggest difference has been getting a white noise cd that lasted the entire length of his nap (longer if I loop it.) We have one of those aquariums attached to the crib, and we LOVE it, but the ocean waves turn off after only 10 minutes. Isaac would always wake up as soon as the waves go off. Now with the cd (a .99 download from Amazon,) we have continuous noise for the duration of his naps. So far so good. His naps aren't as long as they were (usually between 1 1/2 - 2 hours) but I'll take 45 minutes to an hour right now if it means we're on our way to getting rid of the swaddle and napping with the sitter.

Isaac has also discovered his hands, and of course how good they taste! He'll just sit in his bumbo sucking away at his hands and drooling everywhere. Hopefully, since he's getting more and more control of his hands, he's close to getting rid of his startle reflex. We've also introduced the walker, though he's NOWHERE near being able to use it as intended, the big tray is nice to put all his toys on now that we're close to him being able to grab. Plus, it's the perfect place for us to read or sing since he loves watching our faces. Overall, a good week! I can't believe how fast he's growing and how quickly he's learning new and fun tricks. I think our next big test is when I take Isaac on a 12 hour car trip to visit his grandma and grandpa in Memphis. Adam can't go with me, but I have a good friend who is willing to suffer through a long car trip with an infant. We'll see how it goes! ~ Andrea

4 comments:

  1. Is this your first long distance car trip with him? My only suggestion for that is to try to leave around the time he would be going to sleep for the night. We have never taken a 12 hour trip before, but we went to KY last month and it was around a 7 hour trip. We left around 4, fed him around 6 and he slept the rest of the way. We fed him again once we got there and he played a little bit and went back to bed...
    I will tell you that on the way back we had to drive during the day, so for the first half he stayed away by himself for about 45 minutes and then slept. At lunch time we got stuck in traffic so i crawled back there with him to entertain him. He basically cried until we got to an exit. When I took him out of his carseat he had the biggest blow out ever! Once he was changed he was a much happier camper, ate, and then slept the rest of the way home. I was so worried he wouldn't sleep that night...but he just stayed up until around 9 or 10 and went to sleep for the night. What a relief!
    I guess like anything else it is just trial and error...not to mention just being creative in either play time or tuning him out. Good luck!

    ps, congrats on the one armed swaddle...that is a HUGE success!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you SO much for the advice on how to travel. It is our first trip, and it so long that it has me worried. Luckily, Isaac really likes his car seat and driving, but I don't think he's ever been in there for over two hours. I think since its so long, we're going to try to leave right at Isaac's first nap of the day. Usually, that's around 8:30. That way, when he wakes up, we'll be ready to stop for lunch. Hopefully, we'll pull in around 8:00 so that Isaac can go down at his normal bed time. Maybe I'm being naive about it, but I'm really hoping its not too bad! Thanks also about the swaddle!! I was worried he wouldn't sleep well last night because of the change, but he did amazing! Almost 8 hours of straight sleep, which is great for us. Can't wait till tomorrow, BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 45 min. to an hour naps at his age are awesome! Hadley is 5 months old and she had just in the last month started napping in her crib without being held. Before the startle reflex went away, she would not nap in her crib, even if she was swaddled. She always slept well at night, but during the day she was like, "Mommy, it is daytime. You are not sleeping, you have to hold me!" Now she naps for up to 2 hours at a time in her crib without being swaddled, but she still does not take her naps at the same times every day. She just does not like schedules!

    --Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda~ If I could cuddle Isaac all day I would! We were just worried about having to leave him with the nanny, so we got him on a schedule pretty quick. We used baby wise, and it saved us. Sometimes, I wish he'd want to cuddle more and sleep in our arms, but really, he prefers the crib.

    ReplyDelete