Speaking of beach trips...Molly's first trip is this weekend! I have a 'college' reunion this weekend at Wrightsville Beach. The reason 'college' is in quotes is that I am actually the only one that didn't go to the same college as everyone else. I went to Salem but the group of people I consider my 'college friends' actually went to Wake Forest. I'm excited that Amanda and Tom are part of that group so Molly and Hadley get to experience the beach together!!!
I talked to our pediatrician and he said that although sunscreen bottles say for ages 6+ months, that it is perfectly safe for babies 4 months or older. He recommended Water Babies or Aveno. If your baby has sensitive skin you can ask the pharmacist for Blue Lizard. No prescription needed but it is behind the counter.
In preparation for the beach, I bought this infant cabana from OneStepAhead. I have practiced opening and closing it and think that once I use it a few times it will really be a breeze.

I also got a baby pool to take out onto the beach. Our pediatrician recommended putting one under the cabana and filling it with ocean water. I'm not sure that our cabana will be big enough so I got the baby pool that has partial shade. Hopefully Molly and Hadley will love it!
Amanda, he also assured me that Molly will probably eat plenty of sand and that's ok!Molly has a cute new swimsuit to wear and I will post pictures after this weekend!!!!
-Emily
I love little baby swim suits!!! Make sure to post pics. I think we all need a good beach day sometime this summer together, even if its just a day trip somewhere. Can't wait to talk and see you again soon!
ReplyDeleteThat is so exciting! We are planning on going to the beach in September when it is hopefully a little cooler and Andrew is a little more mobile.
ReplyDeleteAs for sunscrean, I am surprised to hear you had to get Blue Lizard behind the counter...I just got mine at Target about a month ago. I also have a really interesting blurb about sunscrean vs sunblock...I will post it in just a second because it is really long. Interesting to know what the doctor thinks about it. My doctor actually recomended Blue Lizard to us after I had already read up on it. She said it is one of the best ones out there, and uses it for her children. It is expensive, but my sister used to work for a dermetologist, and he said that a lot of the sun damage you experence in your life is directly related to what you expereince between birth and 5. That to me sounds a little drastic, but it makes sense if children are outside a lot, and it is difficult to reapply sunblock like directed.
I have read that people get 80% of their lifetime sun damage before they are 18. I might go back and get Blue Lizard for her. I have such sensitive skin anyway so I wouldn't be surprised if Mols does too.
ReplyDeleteI had no idea you were getting a pool too! How fun! Can't wait to see you!
ReplyDelete--Amanda