Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I need a nanny cam

My day has seriously started me thinking about nanny cams. I know that I am very fortunate to only have to go back to work for 2 days a week right now. That being said, I HATE leaving Isaac with a sitter. Luckily, Adam comes home early for one of the days, and we have the younger sister of a family friend watching Isaac the other day (for only 4 hours.) When I say younger, I mean that she is 24, a college graduate and has had infant experience before---or so she says. I don’t know who left their baby with this moron for too long because I come home to a crying and screaming baby who is dressed in a full on sleeper with socks and she says they just got back from a walk. It’s 90 degrees here in Charlotte today. The poor kid is sweating through his clothes, and she wonders why he’s fussy. She said he didn’t go down for his nap, so she decided to put him in the stroller to walk outside after she decided to play dress up with my baby who was perfectly happy in his onesie. I’m calling total Bull S**T on her claim that he refused to nap. This is a kid who eats and sleeps like clockwork. He loves his crib, loves his mobile, and pretty much you turn on a cd with white noise and he’ll sleep for up to 2 hours in the afternoon. Is she really trying to tell me that just for the 4 hours I leave him on Wednesday he rebels and refuses to sleep? I’m calling it. Bull S**T. She then says he was SO fussy when they got back from his walk (probably because his walk was hotter than hell, and she wouldn’t let him go to sleep) that she wanted to feed him again…so she takes the bottle that had 2 oz left from his last feeding, 3 hours ago, and proceeds to try to feed him basically sour milk. Of course he spits it all up over his long sleeve sleeper. Now, if you know me, and even if you’re just getting to know me through these blogs, you probably know I am a VERY organized and detailed oriented person. I leave a list and instructions for everything. It’s not like I just told her to do whatever she wanted with the baby. She was told exactly what to do, and refused to follow my instructions. I only have 2 more days with her watching Isaac, but I’m debating just bringing the poor boy to lessons with me. All my clients say they would love to see him, and even though I hate the idea of him in a car seat for so long, it may be safer than having this complete idiot watching him for even more day. I know this post probably makes no sense, but I just needed to vent. It’s not that I think my way is right or wrong, but it is MY way, and I get to choose how someone takes care of my son. When she has her own kid, she can decide how she wants it done. I’m paying her though to do it my way, and right now I’m so pissed I just want to call her and tell her to not bother coming next Wednesday. Grrr.

As soon as I picked him up, by the way, he just fell asleep on my shoulder. All he wanted to do was sleep. I guess our whole sleep/eating routine will be off tonight. Just when we hit the 11 hour mark, it’s going to all be messed up. ~Andrea

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, it sounds like you are having an awful time with your sitter! Did you say anything about Isaac being too hot during their walk? Or ask her if she is following your schedule? That must be hard, especially since it's your friend's sister.
    Ever need to vent, you know you can call me!
    After these next 2 days with her (though I think you would be justified if you wanted to cancel), who is going to watch Isaac? Jessie?
    Stay strong, Andrea!!!
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luckily, this was always just a temporary arrangement until Jessie is done with her teacher work days, but it still really upset me to come home to that. It's like she thinks she gets to play with my baby instead of take care of him. I think what was so upsetting is that I had specifically told her what clothes to put him in if he spits up. I also told her that if he won't nap to let him cry it out for up to 30 minutes and to also only feed him the bottles I have left for him. He's eating every 4 hours now, so there should have been no reason he needed to eat again. Luckily, Isaac has taken after me and once he knows a schedule, he sticks with it. After we got him back on his last feeding time, he slept 11 hours. I'll be happy when summer gets here and I have more reliable care, but it makes me so nervous about the fall. We're still not sure of what we're going to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if you take him to work with you, would that be during his nap time? If it is then sleeping in the car seat might actually work for him. If it isn't during nap time, you might consider taking an activity mat for him to entertain himslef while you are teaching...or I don't know if this would work since I cannot sing...you could just wear him while you are at lessons. That way you know he cannot get into anything while you are teaching. Those are all the thought I have right now.

    By the way, our daycare does not currently have a webcam, but there are days that I am so curious what Andrew does all day. But something tells me that if I had the ability to watch him at school, I would be doing that all day. Good think I have duel monitors ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is exactly the reason we went with a daycare instead of a Nanny. Our daycare has a webcam that I can watch all day, and I can even go back and watch previous video from earlier in the day if I miss part of the day. The daycares are also heavily regulated by the state and they have insurance--so I will sue the hell out of them and have them shut down if my child is harmed! Even with those protections though, it is still the little things I find myself worrying over. Naptime has always been difficult for us. We finally got a routine down, and then she started daycare. And now they don't put her to sleep exactly the way I do it, so she is having a little trouble sleeping. Hopefully it is temporary. I say go ahead and take Isaac with you if you have the flexibility to do so. Nobody is as good as his mama!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sometimes wish we could use a daycare, but with my hours starting at around 2:30 and ending at 8:00 there is no traditional day care that would take him. Plus, I like that he has all the things that make him comfortable here at home. The summer should be much easier since his Godparents are taking care of him. This really was just temporary. I actually tested him out yesterday at a makeup lessons and he did great. I think the mom was actually so happy to get hold a baby! I think for the next 2 weeks I'll just bring him with me to lessons. He'll sleep part of it, and the rest he'll just sit in his bumbo and play with toys. I've calmed down a lot now that I have a solution. Thanks for all the support!

    ReplyDelete