Wednesday, May 26, 2010

lots of stuff to process


So, I hope you ladies are all doing well. I cannot believe so much time has gone by since we first made our introductions. Andrew is now almost 7 months old. He is sitting mainly by himself, and loves eating. We eat stage two solids twice a day now with oatmeal mixed in, that way he can get used to food with texture. We have cut back slightly on his bottles per the doctor's orders to get him down to "average range" (we were giving 40 oz a day and now it is more like 34). He is wearing 6-9 or just 9 month sizes now, and at our last visit he was 27 inches and 17 lbs 3 oz! I have begun seriously looking at convertible car seats. Our plan is to have him rear facing for 2 years...but we will have to play that part by ear. If you are curious why, you tube rear facing vs forward facing. Basically we are trying to cut down our chances of internal decapitation...scary business. I think we are going with a Britax Boulevard CS. Any ideas what you guys are thinking in the future? I wasn’t really prepared to be looking for one so early, but Andrew will outgrown his infant seat in two inches! He is growing up way too fast.

Ok so now on to what has been on my mind the past month. At Andrew's 6 month appointment we had to do an evaluation for his milestones thing, just like we did for his 4 month appointment. Well, he did very poorly for his fine motor skills. Basically what it boils down to is that he isn't playing with toys. He laughs when we play with toys in front of him. He can hold them if we give them to him. But he is not actively seeking them out or putting anything in his mouth except for his hands. I have been a little concerned with the idea that he isn't interested in toys up until now, but mainly because I didn't know what we were going to do with teething hit and he had nothing to comfort himself. But the doctor is concerned because most of his milestones are based on "toy activity", and if he doesn't play with toys on his own, we don't know if there is a problem.

So she referred us to baby physical/occupational therapist. We met with her this past Friday for a general “let’s get to know each other” appointment. We learned a little more about the program and what is going to happen if we need to proceed with therapy. Monday we had a hearing and vision test done. I didn't realize you could do a vision test with children this young, but apparently they check his tracking and check for astigmatism, which most children have at this age. Andrew passed his hearing with flying colors. It was so cute to see his reaction in the sound proof room as different toys lit up and began making noises, along with random speakers making sounds. As for is vision, they are a little concerned mainly because both his father and myself are basically blind. So we will have to get that recheck in 6 months. My poor baby is probably going to need glasses. I always knew it was going to be in his future, but just thinking of a one year old wearing glasses makes me kind of sad. So I have been looking around for baby glasses in my free time. If anybody knows a cool site, let me know.

Anyways, our next appointment is our actual evaluation, but that isn't until next week. We have been trying to get more play time in on the floor so we can be fully prepared for what the evaluation is going to tell us. It is hard to fit so much into a day. We don't get home until 5:15/5:30. Then we have to eat solids, and squeeze in bed time bottle. He is usually in bed by 7:00. So that leaves us about an hour and a half to do feedings, hard core feeding, and a bath. I am running out of time. I know you are probably thinking...just push back his bed time, but believe me that isn't going to work. He is cranky if we mess up his schedule, and it makes bed time a struggle. Not to mention the doctor said since we are waking up so early, he needs to be in bed no later than 7...

So there it is, I know there isn't any real information there, but hopefully we will know something more by next weekend. And there is a big chance that this is normal for Andrew, and he will do it in his own time. In that case, the therapist will give us some exercises to work on so we aren't left hanging...only time will tell right now. I will leave you guys with our latest family picture. This was taken at my brother's wedding at the beginning of May.

4 comments:

  1. Andrew is adorable in that picture! What a great family shot. All babies hit the milestones at different times, and whether he played with toys at 6 months v. 8 months isn't going to make any difference when he reaches kindergarten. I think babies in glasses are too precious. They have so many styles now that I can't wait to see what you pick out. We don't know yet what Isaac will need. Adam is so blind, but I have good vision, so you never know what gene cards you got dealt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were a little concerned when he wasn't doing this at 4 months, but it was a wait and see kind of thing. I keep telling myself that he will play when he feels like playing...On the other hand, maybe he is going to be a book worm and he has no time for "play time" :)
    I think the idea that they referred us means they are a little more than just concerned at this point. They said honestly this is stuff that he should be at least starting at 3 months old. He is doing well in everything else, so maybe because he has consintrated so hard on being a big boy in other areas took away from some of the more basic abilities. She also said that cases like Andrew was more prevenlent in children with bad reflux, and once their tummys feel better they start hitting mile stones left and right...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard that the Britax carseats are the best as far as convertible carseats go. Sorry to hear that Andrew is not playing with his toys much, but hopefully the therapy will help--and there are many worse things that could be going wrong, so maybe this is just a minor hurdle he has to get over. Be thankful he is not putting things in his mouth. Hadley is putting EVERYTHING in her mouth. I do not like germs, so it is driving me nuts. I'm constantly wiping off her hands, carseat straps, etc., but she always finds something else even dirtier to put in her mouth. Sometimes I think she does it just to gross me out. I used to try to prevent her from sucking her fingers, but now my view is that her hands are the least yucky thing she can put in her mouth--at least I can wash those frequently!

    --Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you've had a lot weighing on your mind! Keep us posted once you've had your evaluation. I would imagine that maybe he's just taking his time on some of those milestones. But therapy is something that many children go through for one reason or another; for me it was speech therapy when I was in grade school.
    I agree with Andrea, little kids in glasses are so cute! Especially with how preppy you can dress Andrew. He can have different glasses to match! :-D
    Know that if you need anything, whether it's a shoulder to cry on or a night out with the girls...all of us will be here for you no matter what! I think that goes for if any of us need support in any way. I know we don't all know each other but we all have formed a special bond over the past 9 or so months and I can't wait for us to be able to get together as a group!
    Emily <><

    ReplyDelete