Thursday, April 1, 2010

cloth diapers

Is anyone using cloth diapers or are we all disposable mamas? It seems like everyone in the New Mom group I go to is using cloth for their little ones, but I just can't commit to keeping up with that much extra laundry! Not to mention the ease and convenience factor of disposable diapers. But did you know it takes almost 500 YEARS for a diaper to break down? And there are millions of them put into landfills every year. I'm not a huge environmentalist or anything but still! So I saw a thing in Parenting magazine about gDiapers and am thinking about trying them out. I like the option of trying cloth (maybe at night when poop is less likely) but then also being able to get the disposable (flushable!!! and compostable!!!) inserts. Plus the covers are super cute, especially now that the weather is warming up and we don't have to bundle our babies from head to toe! What do you guys think?

PS- We had some weight issues after Laine's 4 month check-up... she had dropped from the 50th percentile to the 10th! (But she had grown more than THREE inches... little stringbean!). After supplementing and offering both sides for 2 weeks, she gained a pound! I figure we will supplement for a while longer before I start offering solids and gradually wean her off breastfeeding. As long as she is growing, happy, and healthy, it's all good to me!

PPS- She figured out how to roll from her back to her tummy yesterday! Still not too interested in rolling the other way, but she enjoys tummy time a lot more now that she can get there on her own. Does this mean crawling is imminent? EEK!

3 comments:

  1. Not using cloth diapers, but I get what you're saying about the environmental impact. I guess I'm a lazy environmentalist. I drive my prius, but when it comes to washing my own poopy diapers, I just can't get into it (by my own poopy diapers, I don't mean MY poopy diapers.) I guess washing the poop out proabably isn't as bad once you're on solids, and you can dump most of the poop in the toilet before washing the diaper. Let me know how it goes. Congrats on the weight gain and the rolling over. She'll be ready for crawling by summer time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband is usually the environmentalist in our family and makes sure that we recycle, etc. But when I suggested we look into cloth diapers before we had Hadley, he promptly vetoed me. So we are using disposable. Let me know how it goes if you try them though, maybe I can convince my husband to try them with the next baby.

    Congrats on the weight gain--She will gain more over the next month or so probably--sounds like she was just growing in length and that was taking up all her energy. Were her length and weight proportional? Hadley has been in the 10th percentile the whole time because she was so small when she was born, but the doctor says that's okay as long as height and weight are proportional and she is growing a certain percentage in weight and length each time.

    --Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. No- she is in the 75th percentile for height! haha Told you- stringbean!

    ReplyDelete