Wednesday, April 28, 2010

2 months

Isaac is officially 2 months!! Wow…time has flown by. My little boy is not so little anymore. We had our checkup today, and while I would love to say it was amazing and perfect, the truth is it was pretty overwhelming. I guess I’ll start with how much he’s grown. He has gone from my adorable little 7lb 5oz baby to being 13lb 8 oz. He’s also now 23 ¼ inches long. He’s in the 95% for weight, and 75th for height. He’s grown!! I can’t believe he’ll be out of size 1 diapers soon. We have a whole extra box that I have to go return now.

We have been having several issues that I wanted to discuss with our doctor, the first one being our feeding issues. Isaac has been going crazy and eating as much as 13 oz at his last feeding before bedtime. The rest of the day is about 6 oz, but all of a sudden, at 6:00, he wants 10-13. I always thought you couldn’t overfeed a truly hungry baby, but apparently we our leading our child down a dangerous road to type 2 diabetes and obesity. Yes…my dramatic pediatrician actually seemed to suggest that my two month old is headed for a life of weight related issues based on a one week pattern of cluster feeding before bedtime. Needless to say, we may be in the market for a new pediatrician. His instructions are to simply stop after 8 oz and to let him cry it out…even if it takes 2 hours until his next feeding. We’ll see how that goes, and I’ll keep you posted. I am personally not so sure this advice is going to stick. It kinda goes against my gut feeling, and that just seems weird.

The 2nd issue we’ve been having is in regards to sleep. Isaac is doing awesome and sleeping 6 hours a stretch at night, but only if we swaddle him super tight, with his arms inside the swaddler. We were told today that it is big no no, and a risk of sids at this age, so we’re supposed to stop swaddling cold turkey. The big problem is Isaac startle reflex is so strong that he hits himself and wakes himself up after only 10 minutes. The doc says it’ll take a few nights or a week to get used to, but in the end it’ll be worth it. I’m fine with this, but I know its going to be a long week! He’s screaming his head off as I write this. I’m hoping he’ll just tire himself out and we’ll actually get some kind of sleep tonight. It may be wishful thinking as we’re headed into 30 minutes of crying.

The last issue we’re having, that I wasn’t even aware of, is that Isaac is developing a flat spot on the right side of his head. Ever since we brought him home from the hospital, he has favored that side to sleep on. We switch the side he sleeps on every night, and even let him sleep on his tummy when I can supervise, but he is still getting a little flat on that side. So now we have to really up our efforts, and get a wedge with memory foam to try to help that side. He also suggested side sleeping with supervision. Hopefully, we can get it all worked out and we won’t need to get one of those helmets that helps treat it.

I kinda thought we were doing a great job with Isaac, but I left that appointment in tears with all the stuff that just made me worry more. Not to mention the trauma of his first vaccinations. Blah…I know it’s not supposed to be easy, but sometimes I just wish it wasn’t this hard! At least he’s still cute….here’s a picture with his new friend, Lambey. ~Andrea

7 comments:

  1. Tiny success ~ Isaac cried himself to sleep after 40 minutes. Never fun to have your kid cry himself to sleep, but the mantra around here right now is tough love, baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe he grew so much! Laine doesn't weigh much more than that... my little string bean. And I don't think she's ever eaten 10 ounces! Wow!
    Sounds like your doc is well-intentioned but maybe a little over dramatic. We swaddled Laine for the first 3 or 4 months... usually she could get out of it during the night, but it helped calm her down for bed. I know it's stressful to have so much to worry and think about but it sounds like you're doing a great job! Just try to enjoy him and remember that your most important job is to keep him happy and safe- which it seems like you are doing perfectly well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Greer! Encouragement is definitely what we needed this morning. Last night didn't go so well. We've decided to chuck the advice our ped. gave us on swaddling and trust our instincts. The reason he really needs it is because of his startle reflex and by torturing him and taking away the swaddle we're basically asking him to sleep through something that is as natural to him as breathing. We'll try every 2 weeks or so to go without the swaddle and see if he grew out of his reflex yet. On a postive note, Isaac was back to eating normal last night and stopped at 7 oz. I really do think it was just a growth spurt and that my little baby is not going to end up being a contestant on the biggest loser.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it funny that the more research you do, the more confusing it all becomes. Everybody has a different oppinion on EVERYTHING! I think you have to go with your gut on both of these issues. Do you want to get into the habbit of over feeding...or course not, but there are such things as growth spurts, and they come at "certain" times of a baby's life...around 6 weeks, around 3 months, and I think around 6 months (which is why I think we start food primarily at 6 months), etc. But every baby is different. Babies are really good at figuring it out and semi self reglating their food intake. The way I like to think about it is if they are over fed, you are going to wear it :)

    As for the swaddling thing. I agree with Greer, your doctor sounds like he is very conservitive. They are not sure what causes SIDS, if a baby is unable to breath because something tangable is blocking their air way it is call suffication. Granted you do not want that to happen either, but if your child isn't rolling around and you are comfortable with their sleeping habbits, it really is a personal choice. There are plenty of babies that are swaddled until they are much older than two months old...But on the flip side, I heard it is a hard habbit to break. Some woman go cold turkey, and some women slowing ween their baby from it. Sleep is very important for both babies and their parents. If it is working right now, and you are comfortable with it, I say stick with it. The moment any of those two things change, then look into changing your habbits. For Andrew he let us know what he wanted. We started swaddling really tight, and then just did it really tight without his arms, and then did a loose swaddle with no arms, and then tucked a blanket around him, and now he doesn't usually sleep with a blanket.

    The important thing is that you are being a good mother and it shows because you are so intuned to his needs and wants. As for your ped...if you aren't comfortable with him, or you want somebody a little more open minded, we have been really happy with Dr. Richter as Charlotte Peds. Her office is located by South Park Mall. I wouldn't let my doctor bully me, or scare me into the decisions I make concerning my son. Our doctor encourages questions and research. She is the one that I found out information about starting (once I was comfortable) with eatting solids at 4 months. But ultimatly it was my decision based on my life style and my gut (and a little bit of laziness...).

    By the way, we should totally get together again soon. Maybe have a girls evening and share a bottle of wine or something!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right to go with your gut on the swaddling. We swaddled Hadley until she was 4 months old and her startle reflex was gone (although she never liked her arms swaddled so they were always out and afforded her a little more mobility). Have you tried the sleep sacks or wearable blankets? They might be a good transition if you want to start transitioning him out of swaddling.

    The last thing you need is a pediatrician that makes you worry more than absolutely necessary--because you will probably worry more than necessary on your own. So if he's just stressing you out, then definitely make a switch.

    We tried the cry it out method with Hadley once, and we did not get very far with it. And it was so traumatic for Tom and I to let her cry for the short little time that we did that we never tried it again. Granted, she was pretty fussy at times, so sometimes not letting her cry it out really just meant that we were holding her while she screamed for 45 min. At least then, you can feel like you are doing something. But I don't really think she is spoiled like some people say happens when you hold them all the time. In fact, I actually think it has given her the security she needed to start establishing independence on her own. She actually does not cry very often anymore. She's perfectly content to play on her play mat with her toys and even puts herself to sleep now (after a few lullabies). For some people, the cry it out method works, and for some it does not. I don't think either method is necessarily "wrong" or will result in harm to your baby, it just depends on what you are comfortable with.

    --Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  6. We actually swaddled him with one arm out last night. He didn't give us a full 6 hours, but 5 hours isn't bad. He woke up around 1:00, I reswaddled and then he slept another 5 hours. I'll take that over what we had a couple nights ago with no swaddle. We'll probably continue that and see how he does, and hopefully we'll get back to our 6-7 hours soon. Our bed time routine is actually really smooth. We put him to bed fully awake and just turn on his crib aquarium with ocean noises and he drifts right to sleep. We tried lullabies, but because we usually sing all day long, they actually wake him up and make him think its play time. Luckily, we've never had to really cry it out except for during the day when I put him down for naps, and even then its just 10 - 15 minutes.

    Melissa- A bottle of wine away from babies sounds AWESOME! We should definitely plan for that soon. I can't this weekend, and next weekend is our 1st Mother's Day!!! AHHHH!!! Maybe, the weekend after that.

    This is a long comment, but I want to thank all of you guys for your support. Its nice to know that with all our different approaches to raising our babies, we can fully support eachother and give encouragement when its needed most. If only we all lived closer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We stopped officially swaddling Molly a couple of months ago, but like Hadley, she never liked to have her arms down anyway. Now I wrap the swaddle cloth around her in the same manner as a swaddle but I do it very loosely.
    We do use the cry-it-out method with Molly and it works well for us. Sometimes I think I'm a bad mother but Molly's cry doesn't really bother me. (I don't really think I'm a bad mother but sometimes her crying makes me laugh!) Todd and I came to an agreement that we would let her cry up to 30 minutes before we went to get her but normally it doesn't last longer than 5-10 minutes before she's fast asleep.
    As for your pediatrician, like I told you on the phone, he needs to go. You really need to feel comfortable and trust the person who will be so integral in Isaac's life. You are so right, no 2 children are exactly the same and the ped. needs to look at Isaac as an individual!
    As for the flat spot, of course you want to avoid that but I know plenty of children who have had to wear helmets so if that's the route you have to take, just take cute pictures cause you can blackmail him with them later! :-D
    I know you and Adam are doing a fabulous job with Isaac and I can't wait to get together again soon!
    Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete