Isaac is now just about 5 weeks old, and we’re starting to get into a pretty predictable feeding routine. The problem is his sleeping patterns. He refuses to take a nap during the day unless I am either holding him, or I put him on his stomach (and then I still can’t really walk away completely because I have to watch and monitor him more when he’s on his tummy.) At night, the only way we can get him down for more then 10 minutes is if daddy swaddles him so tight he can’t get his arms loose to startle himself. I basically suck at swaddling and can’t get it tight enough, so if he has to get changed at all at night I have trouble getting him back to sleep. Do any of you have any suggestions? He is sleeping for 5 hour stretches if he’s swaddled, but he’s getting a little big for that. How can we transition him to sleeping without the swaddler or on his tummy? I’ve read reviews for those monitors that sense movement and didn’t know if any of you have them and if you think this would help with my paranoia about tummy sleeping and sids. I know the chances are so slim, but it still scares the crap out of me. I know we were probably all put on our tummies to sleep as babies, but now it’s a deadly sin to even whisper about doing that with babies, and I’m just confused and frustrated about whether to try to give Isaac good meaningful sleep, or to keep torturing our whole family with crappy sleep until he's old enough to flip over naturally (I hear at this point, you’re ok to let him sleep on his tummy if he got there on his own.~ holy run on sentence, btw) He managed to flip himself from tummy to back on Tuesday, but I think it was a total fluke because he was so pissed off about tummy time. I guess we’ll see in the next couple weeks if he manages it again.
On a totally different subject, I’m so glad it’s getting warmer outside. The reason why might surprise you, especially those with girls. Isaac’s feet are huge!!! They won’t fit into the sleepers anymore (0-3 months) even though the rest of the garment fits him. Most of the warmer weather outfits he has have no feet, so it is much easier to dress him. I’m trying to get him into all the cute little socks we got as gifts before he totally outgrows them. We’ve had people suggest to us to cut off the feet of some sleepers, but that just seems wasteful when I can take those clothes to consignment (or keep the gender neutral ones for baby #2 ~years away.) I can’t wait to take him in for his 2 month checkup

to see how much weight he’s gained. I feel like he’s changed so much in just the past week.
Thanks for any help or suggestions! We need it… ~ Andrea
I still haven't had any luck with Hadley on napping in her crib. She will only sleep for about 10 min. at a time if I put her in her crib during the day. In fact, sometimes when she falls asleep during a feeding, I will put her in her crib specifically because I know she will wake up and finish her bottle. There are some upsides to not napping in the crib though: 1) She started sleeping through the night really early because she doesn't sleep well during the day, and 2) I don't have to plan around her naps and become a prisoner to my home because she actually sleeps better if I just put her in the car seat or stroller and go somewhere. So I plan my outings during the times she usually naps--she is quiet and cooperative because she is sleeping; and I am not bored sitting around the house all day. It's a win-win situation. I think once she goes to daycare she might learn to nap better by watching the other kids, but if not, I won't sweat it too much.
ReplyDeleteAs for getting Isaac back to sleep at night, we had that problem for a while too. We never really found a solution; I think she just grew out of it. It helped when we got her reflux under control too.
Happy Easter!
--Amanda