Thursday, April 15, 2010

4 Months, Going on 2 Years


I cannot believe that Hadley is 4 months old! We made it through the second set of shots without incident. I split them up so that she got one shot at her 4 month checkup and then one shot and an oral vaccine a week later (today). She ran a mild fever with the shot she got last week, and no fever today, so we are relieved.

We made the switch to putting her in the crib to sleep at night earlier this month, and it was totally a non-issue. I actually think Tom and I had a harder time dealing with it than she did. We slept on the air mattress in her room for the first few nights. We also just stopped swaddling her a few nights ago, and so far that has been a non-issue too. Actually, these days, she is just a really happy baby all around. She barely cries anymore. However, she has learned to squeal REALLY loud, and it is her favorite sound to make right now. We just love it! ;)

She has all of a sudden decided that she is little miss independent, and I am not liking it one bit. As of late last week, she does not want to be rocked to sleep for her naps anymore. She wants me to put her in her crib (yes, I said she is napping in her crib!) on her side and rub her back until she is asleep. Then I roll her over onto her back. She has been napping in her crib sometimes for an hour and a half at a time! She also thinks she is big enough to feed herself now. She will gulp quickly with me holding the bottle until she is almost full, and then she pushes my hands away and tries to hold the bottle herself. She has not mastered that skill yet, so it is still messy, but she is determined. I praise her for achieving all these new milestones, but really it makes me sad. I liked rocking her to sleep and feeding her. :( I still rock her to sleep at night--so far she is not protesting that one yet. I think the fact that she is establishing some independence will help me when she eventually has to start daycare in about a month and a half.

Attached is a picture of her in her Bumbo chair. She can't sit in it for too long yet, but she sits in it long enough for me to get some cute pictures and video footage.

--Amanda

2 comments:

  1. Andrew has been trying to hold his bottle for awhile now. We "let" him try but he isn't quite there yet...but I will tell you what is really messy. We tried giving him his bottle in his high chair so he could get used to sitting in there for food, and he was all grins. He really enjoys being on our level, and I swear he didn't even care that he waste half is bottle he was so happy to be a "big boy".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at that adorable smile! She is obviously enjoying her time. I can't wait 'till we can break out the bumbo. It's good to hear you were able to transition Hadley out of the swaddle so easily. Isaac's Moro reflex is SO strong that he won't sleep more then 10 minutes without being swaddled. We heard that it goes away around 4 months, so you give us hope!

    ReplyDelete