Friday, March 19, 2010

We brought more than just a baby home from the hospital

I had no clue what diaper rash looked like, but I was confident in my deductive reasoning skills that if Isaac had a rash in his low, below regions that I could call it diaper rash and treat it as such. Well, we hadn't been having any problems down there until about 10 days after we got him home from the hospital, and these sores that looked like pimples started appearing around his groin. Yuck...I know. I didn't think it looked like diaper rash, but what else could it be. We treated it with diaper rash cream for two days, but there was no improvement and more sores were popping up. After my friend Google and I found some pictures to help me diagnose it, I immediately called our pediatrician because it could be a bacterial infection. Joy of joys!! We took him in on St. Patty's day and while the doctor said it didn't look bacterial, he would take a culture just to be on the safe side. He sent me home with an prescription ointment and told me not to worry. Well, they call me today and let me know...Isaac picked up MRSA from the hospital! Based on the location of the sores, he probably contracted it during the circumcision. Poor little baby. We're starting him on heavy duty antibiotics, but as Oprah will let you know, this infection is freaky and scary and as a new mom I am totally worrying. At least we get to try out our skills taking a temperature (yuck!) We also get to totally scrub down our house and do about 500 loads of laundry during a time when all you want to do is sleep, even for just 5 minutes. The kicker in all of this is that while the hospital gave this infection to my son, we'll still have to pay for his birth and all the follow up care. If a car dealer messed up your car during routine maintenance, I don't think I would paying for his services. Why should health care be any different? The meds that Isaac on will also give him some nasty side effects. I think this is going to be a very long ten days. I'm just pretty overwhelmed and hoping that this isn't going to be as bad as I think. ~Andrea

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear this, and at a time that is so stressful anyway. How awful! I hope he gets better soon. Keep us posted!

    --Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amanda! I think we're starting to get better. We had a visit with the dr this morning, and I think we'll be good once we finish up the antibiotic.

    ReplyDelete