It looks like Isaac is getting better! He's had no new outbreaks of his MRSA, and just has to finish his antibiotics to be in the clear. We'll have to continue to watch him carefully, since the majority of babies who develop MRSA infections will have a continued risk of getting reinfected. One good thing about living at the pediatrician for the past week is we can track Isaac's growth and ask all our little questions that pop up randomly. Isaac has already almost gained 2 lbs in just 3 weeks! He's now 9lbs 1 oz. I was worried maybe it was too much weight gain, but the doc says you really can't overfeed a baby, and thankfully, Isaac doesn't really spit up much. The one thing we do have MAJOR issues with is how fussy he gets, especially between 6 and midnight. Poor baby just has the worst gas issues!! My milk never did come in, so we're now using the most gentle formula possible, but now the antibiotics are tearing up the poor little monster's tummy. Other than gripe water and gas drops, have any of you guys found anything that helps with the fussiness/gas? The thing we're finding that works the best is keeping Isaac on his tummy until he falls asleep, and then we flip him over to his back to be safe. He's just more comfortable that way. I just don't want to continue that in case he gets to used to sleeping there. He's just in so much pain and cries for hours if he's not on his tummy. Hopefully, once he's off the meds, hopefully, everything will work itself out. Any advice would be great!! ~Andrea
Monday, March 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am so glad Isaac is getting better! I've been saying prayers for him!
ReplyDeleteThey say that evening time is the 'witching' hour for babies. For the first month or so Molly would cry from about 9pm-1am. I don't know if it's colic or not, I think it's just fussy baby syndrome. I promise it will get better!!! I can't offer any solutions though cause we just dealt with it until she seemed to grow out of it.
Thanks Em! It's nice to know that Molly grew out of it...it definitely gives us hope!! Thank you for the prayers. We can't wait to meet Molly this weekend (and of course see you and Todd!)
ReplyDeleteHadley was the same way, except it wasn't restricted to just the evening for her. Count yourself lucky in that at least he is predictable and you know that if he is fussing during a certain time of day, it is just his fussy time and not actually something wrong with him. But when Hadley was at her fussiest, music was our savior. I cannot tell you how many hours I spent in front of the TV during the day dancing to the Toddler Tunes channel with her in my arms. And at night, it really helped us to sit in a really dark room with her and listen to lullabies. Sometimes they get overstimulated and the dark room and soft music helped to remedy that. It has also turned into a great bedtime routine for us--We sing her to sleep, and she is in bed by about 8:30 every night and is regularly sleeping 8-10 hours a night. She actually gets fussy now if we don't get her to bed early enough, but as soon as we start the bedtime routine she knows it is sleep time and calms down almost immediately.
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear Isaac is getting better!
--Amanda
Amanda~ We'll definitely try the dark room and music. I went through the trouble of actually recording a lullaby cd for him, and we still haven't tried it!! We've actually been struggling with finding a good bedtime routine, and hopefully this will help us out. My clients all swear by Baby Wise, but I just don't think its flexible enough for our needs. I guess we'll see if he grows out of it soon!
ReplyDeleteOk, I have lots of advice...my baby is cute, but his favorite past time is screaming and crying. For the poop issue and antibiotics, have your doctors talked to you about probiotics? When Andrew was having tummy problems, they told me to try it to help heal his gut and promote the good bacteria in his tummy. She suggested using it whenever he was getting sick and needed antibiotics so that his wouldn’t get diarrhea as bad. We have been using Bio Gaga (sp?)in the drop form. You have to get it from the pharmacy, but you do not need a prescription. It is expensive ($35 per bottle) and you just use 5 drops a day. Andrew currently has his first ear infection, so we got a new bottle and it seemed to work. Then we went to visit grandparents this weekend and forgot to bring them...wow talk about some nasty stuff. I don't know if the probiotics made the difference or if it was just timing when the meds started affecting his system, but it is worth a shot.
ReplyDeleteAs for gas, Andrew has his fair share of that too. When we started on formula we used Symilac Advance and he was soooooo gassy, I mean he would sit on your lap and just toot the entire time. We changed to Enfamil Gentelease and no more tooting. So we decided we were going to wean him off since he should be old enough to have regular formula, and sure enough the tooting started up again, so we are back to using just Gentelease. Also something else I learned about gas is that you can unknowingly be adding air bubbles when how you are making the bottles. We used to make the bottles one at a time and shake it and go. Now we are making them all in advance
(for daycare) and using a formula pitcher (Dr. Brown; I have never seen another manufacturer for it...) and that has helped tremendously with his gas (air bubbles causing pain). What I had learned is that I was creating so many bubbles when I was shaking up his bottles, you could actually hear the fizzing! Since I started making them with the pitcher, he is a much happier baby.
I will agree with everybody though. In the evenings was the worst with Andrew. Now that he is a little older we have a schedule worked out, he does a lot better and now his fussy time is in the afternoon on the weekends with mommy and daddy. Wish I had some advice on that...I think it is just a baby thing and one thing won't necessarily work on all babies. So now we are going on walks when he is upset in the afternoons, and he either gets quiet and looks all around, or he falls asleep and gets a nap. That is currently our biggest obstacle is nap time on the weekends...wish us luck!
ps I am glad Isaac us feeling better!
Hey Melissa~ It sounds like we have two peas in a pod!! We also use the doc brown bottles and pitcher along with the gentle ease. All combined, it has made a difference; I just think his tummy is still so upset from the meds. My doc mentioned probiotics and gave us a new formula with them included, but Isaac looked at us like we were crazy when he tried the formula. It must have tasted nasty, 'cause he would spit the bottle back out at us. Pretty funny. I might check out the probiotic drops to see if that helps. We used gripe water for awhile, but I don't think it really helped much. Good luck with the nap time! At least its getting nicer out so that walks are easier and more comfortable!
ReplyDeleteGrip water and Mylocon drops never seemed to help us. I was told by my lactation specialist that probiotics were kind of like yeast...the fresher the better. With the formula with it added to it, you cannot be sure that it is still "alive" that is why she perfers the drops. We have to keep them in the frige...you can even take them as an adult. They have three different packagings. One, drop form...you can add it to your bottle if you wanted to, but we just drop them straight into his mouth. The second is in the shape of a straw, so toddlers can just "drink it up" and I dont remember what the third form was, but it might have been a disovable spoon to mix in tea or something...I really dont remember but here is a link so you can check it out...http://www.biogaia.com/
ReplyDeleteWe too are huge fans of Enfamil Gentlease! That was the first formula we tried (on Melissa's suggestion), and Hadley has been a totally different baby since we started her on that. It helped with the gas and the reflux. Gripe Water and Mylicon drops never worked for us either, but some people swear by them. I think Hadley has outgrown the severe reflux issues she had now at 3.5 months. She still spits up some, but not excessively and we don't have many problems with the gagging and choking anymore. So Isaac will probably get a little better within a few months once his digestive system matures a little more.
ReplyDelete