Saturday, March 20, 2010

Back to work!

Ok, so I'm finally updating after my first week back to work. I must admit, it was easier in some ways than I thought it would be, and harder in others.
For my next baby, if I'm working, I will definitely try to go back to work on a Thursday instead of a Monday. That way I can work on the routine for a few days but then have the weekend to recuperate before my first full week.

I'm glad I went in late on Monday. We had Molly's 2 month doctor's appointment and she got some of her shots. That wasn't fun but I'll write about that later. I got to go with Todd to drop Molly off at Greer's and that made me feel a lot better. It helped that Greer has kept Molly several times prior to me going back to work so I was very comfortable with that situation. Monday at work was pretty easy. I thought about Molly a lot and looked at the picture album I had with me constantly. But I knew she was in good hands with Greer and Todd. I did leave work as soon as the bell rang though and made record time home!

Tuesday was harder. First off, my alarm was set for 6:15am and of course Molly woke up hungry at 6am. I know 15 minutes isn't a big difference but I was really missing the option to press snooze at least once! Anyway, I fed her and put her back down and I got myself ready for work. It was really hard to leave the house with both Todd and Molly asleep but I knew I had to go. Todd took Molly to daycare on Tuesday. That was really hard for me. I realized that the reason I was so hesitant about daycare is that those people don't know Molly, and I don't know them! The way our schedules work, Todd was going to be dropping off and picking up Molly from daycare. I wasn't going to get to know her caretakers at all! As luck would have it, Todd had a late meeting on Tuesday so I actually got to pick her up!!! It was good to meet the women and they were very friendly and told me I was welcome to call anytime during the day if I worry about her.

I was pretty sure Wednesday would be my hardest day. I was soooo tired! More so, in a different way, than when I was pregnant. For that very reason, we had asked Todd's mom, Page, to come on Wednesday to help out. She was a wonderful help with getting laundry done, and cleaning the kitchen, and taking us to dinner. And of course Molly loved having her GramPage around!

Thursday was actually the worst day in turns of exhaustion. And it was another daycare day but I was already feeling better about that.

Friday was the best because it was Friday! I was so looking forward to starting my weekend that I had a lot of energy during the day.

So all-in-all going back to work after having a baby is very doable. I wish I had a job that I could use my lunch break to go visit her at daycare but unfortunately that's not possible for me. But it's ok. I've really enjoyed being with my friends again and everyone seems happy to have me back. I do wish it was either for only 4 hours a day instead of 8, or every other day, but it's ok. I do love my job and am happy that we were able to work it out for me to go back to work.

-Emily
p.s. I do have one major frustration about going back to work but that will be the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment