Oh my goodness, if anything might make me cry about going back to work, it's my pump!!! I HATE pumping while I'm at work. One of my problems is my schedule. I have to pump 3 times while I'm at work. The main problem is the first time I have to pump. I interpret at 2 different schools. I start at the elementary school and have 27 minutes between when that class ends til when the next class at the middle school starts. But my drive time is about 15 minutes. Which means I have 12 minutes to get in the building, set up, pump for 15 minutes, put the milk in the fridge, and get to class. I don't know if you noticed, but that is IMPOSSIBLE! I did try once to pump while driving. I have a hands-free bra to use. It worked but was definitely awkward. Especially trying to figure out where the seat belt should go! But my car charger stopped working. (I guess the machine is trying to tell me something!) So....I now have to wait to pump til I get to the middle school. I worked it out with the teacher that I would be late every day (they start with a warm-up so it's not too big of a deal) but it's such a pain!!! And then I have to pump during my lunch and then during my planning period.
Luckily, the assistant principal agreed to practically move out of his office so I could move in. He now calls it my 'lactation factory.' So far we haven't had any overlapping of needing the office, except for Friday during my planning. That worked out because Todd and Molly brought me lunch and I was able to feed her!
I take a cooler with me with string cheese and apples and crackers and water and other stuff to eat while I'm pumping so that helps a lot. I'm trying hard to be healthy.
Luckily I only have 8 weeks left and then it's summer break!!!!
-Emily
Saturday, March 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I can totally relate to your hatred of the pump. When I was still trying to get my milk to come in, I was told I had to pump 8-10 times a day in addition to trying to nurse Isaac and then give him his supplemental bottle when he got nothing from me. I was miserable. I think it was so hard to be sitting still for 15-20 minutes when I had 500 other things I could be doing. I know you feel the same way, cause you're my multitasker friend. I know you'll stick with it and get into a working rhythm. I'm just happy for you that it seems like you have a great support system in place to help you through this transitional time.
ReplyDelete