Let me preface this by saying, I trust doctors. I think they are incredibly well informed and really do want what is best for me and my soon to be little boy. That being said, I'm scared! It is hard to find a doctor (at least around here,) that isn't some crazy homeopathic quack to give you some kind of flexibility on the whole immunization schedule. I want a doctor who maybe doesn't want to stick my son 23 times before he is 5. Doesn't that seem like a lot? I've done my research, and yes, there are no reputable sources out there that say these immunizations will do any harm (I don't count Jim Carrey or Jenny McCarthy as reputable since, for most of their adult lives, fart humor is how they made a living,) but I don't think a little caution would hurt. I think Adam and I are set on the doctor we want to use. He comes very highly recommended by my OB and his wife (also an OB.) It's in a very small private practice that specializes in personal care, plus I could literally walk there in case of a true emergency. Their policy, however, is that they refuse to accept patients who don't allow them to follow the American Academy of Pediatrics' vaccine guidelines. I really do think I'm ok with this, but it doesn't mean I'm not a little nervous still. After doing some research into other offices, it seems like this is common practice unless I want some quack who doesn't believe in vaccines at all. Any guidance is of course welcome!!!
~ Andrea
Wednesday, December 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree the immunizations do seem a little excessive these days, but so many little kids used to die from childhood illness and you just don't hear about that much anymore, so it must be working to some extent. I actually was not fully immunized for a couple of diseases because I had bad reactions to the first or second set of shots they gave me, so I (and my mom) have had to live in fear of them. Every time I hear of someone with whooping cough I get chills. I'm not sure the whole autism thing isn't way over-diagnosed either--seems to be the new ADD. Just my thoughts, but many disagree . . . you just have to use the information you have and make a choice based on what you think is best for you and your baby. That's all you can do.
ReplyDelete--Amanda
I agree with you that autism is probably over diagnosed now, and there is absolutely no evidence to say there is a link. Adam and I are a little concerned with asthma issues, as Adam has mild breathing problems, but again, you never know if its really a link to vaccines or just coincidence. We're definitely getting Isaac vaccinated (unless he has allergy issues too!) I was just surprised at the black and white response of pediatricians who won't even consider a patient who questions the norm. Definitely, the pros outweigh the cons. ~Andrea
ReplyDeleteWe are planning on doing a vaccine schedule. Our pediatrician requires his patients to be vaccinated but has no problem working out a schedule to stretch it out. (And he went to Wake undergrad so you know he has sense!) :-D He did say that we should not get the Hep B vaccine in the hospital but instead he'll vaccinate for that when she's 2 months old.
ReplyDeleteI don't think vaccines cause autism in children who are not already predisposed, so that is not a reason not to vaccinate for us. But really, there are so many uncertainties when it comes to life that I say we all just do the best we can with the information we're given, and pray in the meantime! My midwife did say that if a pediatrician is not willing to have some flexibility with you then maybe you should keep shopping.
Speaking of vaccines...when the doctors come to check up on you and the baby, it is usually super early in the morning. We were attempting breast feeding so we were awaken every two to three hours so needless to say at 7 am we were in no condition to have a serious conversation with the doctor. Don't be intimidated to ask the doctor to repeat himself until you are fully aware of what he is telling/asking you. We were bombared with questions about different shots/vaccines for both me and the baby. I usually asked for time to think about it, and for any material they have for me to review. That helped a ton, and after a few mornings like this I started feeling less groggy and tired and was prepared to make these type of decisions.
ReplyDeletemel
Hey Mel~
ReplyDeleteI was just curious since you're the only other boy mama, if you had your little guy circumcised. If you did, when exactly did they do it in the hospital and was it hard to take care of once you got home? Adam and I were just wondering.
Thanks! Andrea
Andrea-
ReplyDeleteWe did have Andrew circumcised. I think it was two or three days after he was born. He was born at 11 at night, so it makes it a little harder to figure out when things happened, everything was a little fuzzy during that time. Our ped doctor preformed the proceedure and he was a little fussy and his appetite decrease (which the warned us about. I wouldn't say that I knew he was in pain or anything, but when we changed his diapers he was definitely more upset. They put some gauze on his penis which falls off on its own. In face, it fell off before we left the hospital. As for cleaning...they don't suggest baths while you are in the hospital since it drops their body temp. In fact the only thing they want you to do is put Vaseline on it until it heals. We didnt have any problems with it. I think we continued to put vaseline on it until he was maybe a week and a half old and it was all healed up. What I can tell you that is a little off topic is point the penis down when you change his diaper...it helps with the leaks. :)
mel