Wednesday, December 16, 2009

I take it all back!

In my last post, I grounded Isaac and implied that he was wearing out his welcome in my tummy. This morning, I'm taking that all back! I had an appointment with my ob this morning, and other than having to drink the sugar drink and check for gestational diabetes, I thought it was going to be very routine, just like the rest of my pregnancy has been. I hop up on the table (still happy that I can hop up pretty easily,) and get my arm ready for the blood pressure machine. I've never had issues before and I used to always think it was interesting to see the numbers magically appear. I'm waiting and talking to my nurse about Christmas shopping when up the numbers come... 150/102 !!!! I'm in shock! My nurse immediately tells me to lay on my left side and while she is trying to convince me that it's just a little high, my plethora of books on pregnancy has scared me into thinking otherwise. She tells me to just wait a minute or two and they'll recheck. When they did recheck, it went down to 99/68. That definitely made me feel a little better, but I was definitely getting the feeling something was up. When my ob came in he started going over what I knew was a possibility - preeclampsia. He said they did find a small amount of protein in my urine, and coupled with the wacko blood pressure reading, he was getting concerned that I might be showing some early signs of the condition. So, basically, I have to pee in a jug for the next 24 hours and they'll test it to get a better idea of where I'm at. What does this all really mean ~ well, hopefully, nothing, but if you know me at all you know I immediately came home and started preparing for the worst. That means bed rest until Isaac truly is ready to come out, blood pressure monitoring, and maybe some extra help to get Isaac's lungs and organs really ready (this will only be in extreme cases.) I'm pretty freaked, as this is not something I was expecting at all, and hopefully, I'm worrying for nothing. I just want to take back everything I said about wanting him early. I'll keep him in there as long as he's willing to stay at this point! I'm 29 weeks right now, and measuring 30, so holding off until February is where we're really trying to get. I'll keep you posted! ~Andrea

2 comments:

  1. Small update...I dropped off the jug o' pee this morning and had the nurse recheck my pressure (just to be on the safe side,) and it was totally normal this morning. Plus, my glucose test came back normal, so I can celebrate 6 years with my hubby tomorrow with chocolate fondue at the Melting Pot. I'm hoping it was all just a fluke, and that everything will be fine from here on out. It was nice to get some good news before the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad everything is okay! I know it's shocking to think everything is going fine, and then all of a sudden find out something is wrong. Keep resting as much as possible though!

    --Amanda

    ReplyDelete