Tuesday, December 15, 2009

from my experience...

Here are some things I have learned/loved/used in the past 5 (!!!) weeks with Laine.

1. I had to use my pump for a few days after my milk came in because she was unable to latch on correctly. It was a huge lifesaver and kept us from having to resort to formula (and kept me from feeling like I was going to explode!). I have just now started pumping once every day (in the morning after I feed her since that it when you produce the most milk) and storing what I pump for future use... mainly when I go back to work, but also for over the holidays and any other time when it might be more convenient to have a bottle on hand. I have the Medela Pump In Style double electric pump, which is awesome but very expensive. I was lucky enough to have a cousin give me hers so all I had to buy was new tubing. I use the Medela bottles that go with their pumps, which aren't too fancy but seem to work fine.

2. Pampers seems to have the best diapers and wipes, especially if you buy in bulk. They also have a good rewards program where you enter the points you earn from cartons on diapers or wipes and then earn rewards (kind of like Coke Rewards). I especially like their thick sensitive wipes... they are nice and thick and soft and smell good.

3. The SwaddleMe blankets are nifty, but we usually just wrap her in a normal blanket even though we have a few of them so unless you get them as gifts I'd say save your money.

4. A friend of my gave me a wrap from Lovey Duds that you use to "wear your baby". At first I was a little iffy about actually using it, but then Joe accidentally took the stroller in the car and I had to run an errand so I watched the instructional DVD (yes, it is that complicated at first) and figured out how to get her in there and she LOVED it. It keeps them nice and cozy and you have both hands free. I highly recommend it.

5. We had lofty ideals about pacifier use, but then when we sent her to the nursery they gave her one anyway. At first we were a little annoyed about it, but once we got her home we realized that denying her a pacifier was not a battle we wanted to fight. Fortunately, she has a very strong suck and hasn't had problems breastfeeding so it has not been a conflict for us and our pediatrician recommended giving her the pacifier if it worked to calm her down. Even the lactation consultant said they were fine if the baby wanted one and still breastfed successfully. The brand that seems to stay in their mouths the best are the good old "Nuk" ones, but even with those you will feel like you spend most of your life replacing pacifiers. Joe refers to them as our "best friend and worst enemy".

6. A bouncy seat or swing is essential in my opinion, as well as a Boppy or some other kind of nursing pillow. Those are probably the two things I have used the most. Also, MYLICON! They are easy to give infant gas relief drops and our pediatrician said that even if they somehow ingested the whole bottle it wouldn't do anything to hurt them. It doesn't always work, but it often does and is totally worthwhile. Another handy item is the "Ultimate Crib Sheet". It snaps on over a regular sheet for easier changing if the baby spits up or has an accident or whatever during the night. It is soft on the top layer but water resistant on the bottom so nothing will soak through.

Hope that helps! Here is Laine on her way to meet Santa a week or so ago...


























She was very excited about it, obviously.

-- Greer

1 comment: