I would like to ask for some advice on baby proofing. Isaac has started to crawl (s l o w l y) so we're going to start the process of baby proofing pretty soon. I'm in no rush since a snail could catch him at the speed he crawls, but sooner or later he'll get fast, and I'd like to know what kind of products you're using, which one's you'd skip, and if you guys had any trouble spots around the house. I'm especially concerned about the corners of the coffee table and our brick hearth. I've seen those rubber bumpers, but I'm not sure they'll really work enough...especially on the brick where they only cover the edges and not really the hard top surface. I don't really want to gate the whole thing off, but short of duct taping a beach towel to my fireplace, is there anything I can do? Thanks!!!
I can't believe some of you will have walkers soon!! How crazy fast did this year go by?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Outlet covers were the first thing we did. I thought I'd be more concerned about corners than I actually am. Though I have thought of trying the padded corner things too for some areas. Really I'm still proofing as I go. I should do more though cause Molly's a lot faster than she was a month ago! As I'm typing this she has left her room and I think is now in the kitchen....better go catch her!
ReplyDeleteEmily
I'm trying to look at babyproofing as more of a backup plan. I should be watching the baby at all times, but if for some reason I fail, we have done our best to babyproof the things that could cause serious harm--more than just a bump or bruise. So we are not going to put padding all over our house, but we have put chemicals out of reach, plugged electric sockets, braced heavy furniture to the walls, and we are getting gates on the stairs soon. However, the fireplace would bother me because the brick can really scrape you up badly. I haven't seen any particular solutions, but towels and duct tape sound good to me. All that being said, Hadley hurt herself IN HER CRIB today trying to pull up. The one place she is not supposed to get hurt! She is okay, just a little bruise on the forehead, but I felt so bad!
ReplyDelete--Amanda
We're kind of proofing as we go too. He's quickly getting better, and I think now our biggest problem is him pulling up on the entertainment center. Adam says he's grounded if he wrecks the flat screen. We ended up doing the outlet covers, which of course is the first thing he actually went for. At least we know they work! With the brick hearth, we actually ended up getting some decorative throw pillows and an oversized pillow so that it still looks nice in the room, but he can't hurt himself. Plus, we can set up some pretty neat obstacle courses for him to practice crawling. I don't think we'll go too crazy anywhere else. Isaac hurts himself in the crib all the time! Its the worst place. That kid has no fear, and a very short memory. At least he usually doesn't mind when we break out the ice pack for his head. We've only had one pretty bad bruise. He cries for a second, and then sees a cat and is all fine. What an actor.
ReplyDelete