Hello ladies! I so appreciate all of the advice that y'all gave me about milk. I felt better knowing that Wed to Sun/Mon to get milk was normal. Last night I got so engorged and it was soooo painful. Seriously, I wasn't ever this uncomfortable during my pregnancy! Anyway, I was very excited knowing that things were actually happening.
This morning we had our first doctor's appointment. Unfortunately though, Molly has lost too much weight to keep relying on what she might be getting when we breast feed. She has actually dropped a little over a pound, which makes me sad but he said she seems very healthy otherwise so that's good. The doctor has recommended supplementing with formula every time I breast feed to make sure she's getting some nutrition. So now our schedule is: breast feed, supplement, pump; every 2-3 hours. I've already gotten 3 oz from pumping so her next supplement will be breast milk, not formula! And the doctor actually said that you can mix formula and breast milk at a feeding.
Of course, as soon as we got home from the appointment, Molly had her best feeding ever and it was actually milk! It is nice to know that she has a full belly and she looks so content. I'm hoping that working on the feeding issue will also help her sleep more during the night. And the doctor said he is very optimistic that I will be successful breastfeeding, we just have to get through this little hump. We go back on Wed to see how much weight she has gained.
Now that we've got a plan, I feel soooo much better about it all. Now I have to work on getting myself into a good sleeping pattern. We have had so many visitors (which has been fabulous!) then when everyone leaves I just want to stare at or hold Molly. Todd goes back to school tomorrow so I think I'm definitely going to work on napping when Molly's napping so I'm not so exhausted during the day.
We are using Similac Advanced formula. Our doc highly recommends it. Let me know if you hear about any other kind!
Emily <><
Monday, January 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment