Tuesday, November 9, 2010

So much for Thanksgiving!

Ok, so I said I was going to follow up when I mentioned Molly's rash on her cheeks and her bad diaper rash. Well the easier of the two to fix was the diaper rash. Turns out she has a yeast infection so Nystatin ointment was the way to go. We still have about a week left of using the ointment but it's starting to look a lot better. Now about that cheek rash....

About 3 weeks ago I gave Molly egg yolk for the first time. Everything seemed fine and she had it for 2 days in a row and then this rash came. Thinking it was the egg, I stopped giving it to her immediately and expected the rash to go away. 2 days later she had her 9 month appointment. The doctor agreed that it didn't look eczema-esque and to see if stopping the egg would help. Well, 2 weeks later the rash was still there. But it wasn't the same all the time. Throughout the day it would flair up and then sometimes go down to almost clear. But she hadn't had egg that whole time so I was starting to think that egg is not our problem. So I took her back to the doctor and that's when we discovered the yeast in the diaper area. She does think that the rash is something related to food but does not advise that we do an allergy test just yet. It involves taking blood which is just so traumatic for baby and mother alike! So we have to go about it the old-fashioned way!

So....back to basics. :-( I have had to stop all table foods (she advised holding off for about a month) I have had to go back to bland foods and reintroduce everything all over again. The PA said that babies can show a reaction to a food months after it's been introduced. Ugh! Poor Molly, for the past 3 days she has had nothing but butternut squash and rice cereal. On the bright side, her face is really clearing up! I think what is left is more a response to the cold weather than food. Next I'm going to add in sweet potatoes. Honestly, after looking at everything that Molly was eating during the past 3 weeks and when her flair ups occurred, we are thinking she might be allergic to bananas. Yup, bananas, Molly's favorite food. After we do sweet potatoes for a few days I think I'm going to give her a banana and see what happens. Poor kid!

So, the excitement of Molly trying all the table foods that Thanksgiving has to offer is no longer a reality for us. But as long as she is healthy and happy I can be inconvenienced for a while!

I have a picture of her face rash (don't worry, I won't post pics of the other rash!) but it is on my computer and I have switched computers with my dad for a few days. I am back working with him part time and will post about that too! (Man, am I behind or what?!?!)

Happy One Year Birthdays to Andrew and Laine!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment