Thursday, June 3, 2010

Air Travel with Baby

Hadley had her first plane ride a couple of weekends ago. We flew from Atlanta, GA to Raleigh, NC. It was about a 1 1/2 hour flight, and I can tell you that flying was a LOT easier and more comfortable than the 7 hour drive we had on the way back (we flew one way and Tom met us in NC later in the week, so we drove back with him).

I packed very light and was able to pack mine and Hadley's clothes and toiletries in a large bag that we checked and then I had a small carry-on suitcase with Hadleys bottles and toys in it and also carried her diaper bag on. Getting through security was not too bad--it took about 30 min.--which is a good day in Atlanta. We did get to skip ahead of people and go through the special assistance lane since I had a stroller. I strolled her through in her carseat and the snap n' go stroller. I did have to take her out of the carseat and put the carseat and the stroller through the x-ray machine and then I carried her through with me. The only glitch was that they didn't bother to tell me I was going to have to take her out until I got ready to walk through--so I held a few people up behind me. I packed a small can of formula in my diaper bag and left it unopened until we got through security because I did not want them to have to inspect it (I've heard they have to stick a piece of paper in it if it is already mixed). Then I bought a couple bottles of water after we got through security to mix it. I took a whole small can of formula even though we only had an hour flight just in case we got stuck on the runway or something.

Once I got to the gate, they gate checked the stroller. I actually was able to get my seat for free with points, so we went ahead and bought a seat for her and it was not very expensive. I liked having her in her own seat. I was able to buckle the carseat into the seat on the plane. We had plenty of room and I didn't have to worry about her getting hurt if there was turbulence. The carseat is also familiar to her, so she was comfortable. She only cried a little bit when we were descending, and once the wheels hit the runway, she zonked out.

We had to do without some of the gear we would normally have--we didn't have the Bumbo, exersaucer, bathtub, etc. Luckily, my mom had a pack n' play and a bathtub at her house. I also bought formula, diapers and wipes once we got there, so I did not have to pack those. All-in-all, it was a good experience. Oh, and I found out you can FedEx stuff in advance to your destination as well. Depending on what you send, it is sometimes cheaper than checking extra luggage.

--Amanda

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you were really well prepared! I'm glad traveling on the plane wasn't too tough, and the information about security and formula is great.

    ReplyDelete