I should have posted about this a while ago but you probably all know that I have gestational diabetes. It definitely came as a surprise because I didn't have it with Molly. But at my midwife appt before the glucose test, I had sugar that had spilled into my urine so I guess there was a slight hint. Then I failed the 1 hr test on a Friday, got the phone call about that on the following Monday and had to go in Tuesday for the 3 hr test, failed that and got the phone call on Wednesday. I had a nutritionist call me on that Thursday and met with her on Friday. So it all happened pretty fast.
After the meeting with the nutritionist (who pretty much sucked, by the way) I was set with a new meal plan and glucose monitor. I don't have to completely eliminate carbs but have to majorly limit and control them. That not only includes breads, grains, and sugar but also fruits and even milk! and I've upped my protein. I have to prick my finger and check my blood sugar four times a day! That part sucks and I have to write down all of my scores and make notes of what I ate if my numbers are high. The midwife makes a copy of my numbers at every appointment.
All that being true and sucking, I really have come to view it as a blessing in disguise. I am so much more aware of what I am putting into my body and eating so much healthier. With Molly I gained about 50 pounds. So far, at almost 36 weeks pregnant, I have gained seven, yes 7, pounds total. With the food knowledge, I think I will really be able to get in even better shape after this baby comes than I was before!
I am also in the gym at least 3 times a week. With Molly I stopped working out at about 2 months along.
So that's the health saga here. Only about a month left to go. As soon as this baby, well, the placenta, pops out, the 'betes should be gone. I will have to test for a period of time afterward just to make sure it didn't turn into true diabetes but I have full confidence that we'll be back to normal. My midwife already told me that I will be given a grace period right after the baby is born where I don't have to test so to think about what I want to eat during that time.
Tuesday, December 27, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment