Wednesday, August 31, 2011

almost time for the first second baby!

Joe and I are heading into the hospital this evening to induce, so we are anticipating a September 1st birthday if everything goes as expected. We decided to induce for a number of reasons (my doctor is going to be out of town around my due date, the baby has been a little ahead of schedule size-wise for most of my pregnancy, our family is all out of town, etc.). Honestly, though, one of the main reasons is how ready I was to have a solid END date for this pregnancy. It has been hard to be the mother and wife and person I want to be as I have gotten more and more uncomfortable and HUGE. My round ligament pain has been pretty constant and severe again and my back pain has been worse (I blame this one my current little one... she just gets heavier and heavier while I get more and more pregnant!). There is also, of course, the element of control you gain over the experience when you decide to induce. Pregnancy is such an out-of-control state to be in for an organized, plan-obsessed, Type A kind of person like myself that by the end of 40 weeks I am just ready to reclaim my body! I have a felt a little judgment around my decision to induce this time around though... I guess most people just don't see why I would want to induce if I had the option to wait. I hate feeling like I have to defend and rationalize my decision as a parent before I even have another actual baby! Have any of you experienced ambivalence and anxiety about decisions you make during pregnancy because of other people's reactions?

3 comments:

  1. Yay for baby!! I can't wait to see pics. For what it's worth, I think it's nobody's business about your reasons to induce and if your doc didn't think it was healthy, he wouldn't let you do it. You don't have to explain yourself to anyone. I can't relate to the reactions of others regarding pregnancy, but I can tell you it hasn't been easy putting up with the reactions of those regarding us not getting pregnant. To be honest, Adam and are both (equally) on the fence about even having a 2nd baby. For us, it just doesn't feel right yet, but I have been called outright selfish by one person I know because we haven't given Isaac a brother or sister yet. Life is too short to worry about the reactions of others, and you know what you are doing is right for your family. Rock on, Greer! I can't wait to see your two lil ones together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are also going to be induced in December, but ours is because I am going to have another C-section. But Andrea is right, people are going to have their own opinion on EVERYTHING. If it wasnt healthy- you wouldnt be doing it period. I agree it will be nice to have everything set up in advance, but i am a little sad that this little baby (my baby) isnt going to have a surprise birthday like his brother. Though they are only scheudling my induction a week before my due date, so he could still decide to make his appearence early like Andrew did :)

    I cannot believe we are moving on to round two of babies. Andrea- believe me, we are still on teh fence on baby number two, but he is coming if we are ready or not...
    Good luck today Greer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Greer! I don't blame you for inducing. I had to be induced two weeks early last time, and I think we would have had a bad situation had they not induced me when they did. And this time since the hospital is 45 minutes away and I'm looking at icy or snowy roads in the middle of winter and in the middle of the Christmas/New Year holiday season, I will probably jump at the chance to induce. Good luck, and let us know how things go! Can't wait to hear from you post-birth!

    --Amanda

    ReplyDelete