It's more for me than her! So Molly and I are going through the weaning process. I'll explain a little how it's gone and how I've felt throughout.
When Mols was 11 months old I started introducing Horizon's Vit D Organic Cow's milk through a sippy cup. We use a Munchkin straw cup because she likes those the best. I put about 2oz in every day but she wouldn't take near that much. But it got her use to the taste which was the main goal. Up to her 1st birthday she was nursing 4 times a day. (right when she woke up, lunch, around 3-4, and right at bedtime) The day after her birthday I dropped a feeding. I chose the 2nd (lunchtime) feeding for a couple of reasons. The biggest reason is that her 1 year doctor's appointment was that day and she was getting shots in the afternoon and I like to nurse her after her shots to help calm her down. The other reason is that she was already use to eating lunch right after nursing so I thought it would be an easier transition because I already had something to replace the nursing with that she was use to.
So, that Friday I dropped the lunch feeding. Todd was very good about taking charge of Molly during that time to reduce temptation. But really, we needn't be worried. Molly could have cared less! I have to admit, my feelings were a little hurt. :-P But Molly really didn't seem to mind, and I wasn't in any physical pain so all was good. We went a week with only dropping that feeding.
The following Saturday (couldn't drop Fri because of more shots) I dropped the afternoon feeding. Again, Molly was like 'whatever, Mom!' Still no pain for me so we were all good.
Tomorrow will be a week of only nursing Molly when she wakes up and when she goes to sleep. Of course, those are my 2 favorite times! This morning I didn't go to the gym so I didn't have to rush her last morning nursing! When she woke up (8:30!) I brought her into my bed (that's a rarity!) and nursed her while just hanging out relaxing. Again, she seems to be take it or leave it but I needed that last 'savor the moment' feeling.
So, tomorrow morning I will drop the morning feeding. It will be the first time in over a year that I will truly be able to sleep in. Todd is good about letting me sleep in (we alternate getting up on the weekends) but it's always been: roll over, "Todd" nudge "Todd, Molly's up" nudge, and then he goes to get her and brings her to me and I nurse her and then he takes her downstairs. At my request, my wonderful husband is going to sleep in the guest bedroom tonight (with the monitor on full volume next to his head or otherwise he won't hear it) and get up with her so I can for real sleep in. Though with my luck I'll start waking up around 8 wondering why I haven't heard her yet! Anyway, he also offered to do the same thing tomorrow night but I think I'll want to be up for morning family time.
So that's where we are. After one more week the plan is to stop the night feeding as well. So what I'll probably do is feed her a little earlier, say 6 or 6:30, and then play some more before 7:30 bedtime. I'll keep you posted on that!
-Emily
Friday, January 28, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Glad to hear it is going well for Molly! I know it is hard for you to let go though! I held on to the nighttime feeding for a while when I was weaning Hadley too--and I did not even like breast feeding. It is such good cuddle time though! I miss the cuddly days!
ReplyDelete--Amanda