Hadley is on her fourth ear infection in three months! I actually had to call my mom in to help out a few weeks ago because it was all just getting to be a bit too much for us to handle. About a week after she finishes her antibiotics for one ear infection, she already has another one. They do seem to be going away in between--every time we take her for a re-check she is all clear. But she is still getting them really close together, and it is not even cold/flu season yet. She is running out of antibiotic options because after you take one, you have to wait a certain number of weeks before you can take that one again. So they have been alternating penicillin and non-penicillin-based antibiotics, but she is fresh out of options at this point.
The pediatrician has referred us to an ear, nose and throat doctor, which we will see next Friday. However, I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem or knows anyone that has had this problem and what they did about it. I am afraid the doctor is going to recommend tubes, but I'm not sure if we are quite ready to do that yet. I've talked to several people, and that is the only solution I have heard other than antibiotics. It seems that so many babies have this problem that there would be a better option that does not involve putting an 11-month old under anesthesia. Let me know if you know of anything--we are getting desperate here!
--Amanda
Sunday, October 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey im a friend of emily's that follows this blog and I myself have not dealt with numerous ear infections but i have 2 good friends who both have sons that had a lot and they finally decided on tubes cuz he was getting so many and they didnt want him to be constanly on antibiotics and then when he needs them down the road for the antibiotics to not respond for him much anymore. she said it was the easiest process ever and she is so glad she got the tubes for him. One of them had so many that he had a lil hearing loss during the ear infections and delayed his speech a lil. so something else to think about. Good Luck with your choices.
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting, Ashley! Molly hasn't experienced any ear infections yet but I have a friend whose son is getting tubes put in next week. I'll report back about how he does!
ReplyDeleteYour sister had two sets of tubes. It was the hardest decision for your Dad and I to make and the best decsion we ever made for her. You will figure out what is best for Hadley. That is why she has you and Tom for her parents!
ReplyDeleteI have a friend whos son had an ear infection every month for almost a year. They even scheduled tubes and then backed out because of the same fears you shared. In the end they did go the route of tubes, and I haven't heard of another ear infection since. I know it has to be scary and frustrating, we have been lucky in that department with only having two ear infections to date. I agree with Emily's friend though. Speach and hearing could be affected by mulitple ear infections in addition to problems with antibotics.
ReplyDeleteNow I don't know if I am just grasping at straws, but are the ear infections recent? Maybe it has something to do with alergies??? If there is more drainage because of the weather changing, maybe it is causing the ear infections? Just an idea...I hope Hadley starts feeling better soon. Please keep us posted.