Saturday, July 3, 2010

Night terrors

Ugh! Have any of you experienced night terrors with you little ones? They are atrocious! Molly just had one tonight. She's had 2 other ones over the past month and I can't stand them. It happens at some point early in the night after we have put her down. All of a sudden we hear her cry bloody murder. It seriously sounds worse than when she gets shots...like something is hurting her. But she is sound asleep. I seriously think it scars me more than her.

From what I've read, children do not remember their night terrors at all. I think you're suppose to leave them in the bed and just make sure they do not hurt themselves (ie fall out of the bed). Todd and I have not been able to resist picking her up. She flails in our arms and screams but eventually wake up and looks at us like 'what are y'all doing here?'

I plan on calling the doctor on Tuesday to get his advice but I thought I'd check with y'all as well.

On a brighter note, Molly had her first experience in a pool tonight! I really think she loved it. She was splashing the water and had lots of grins. I told Todd I was going to dunk her under and he wasn't too keen on the idea until I did it and she came up with the cutest face. Then Todd said, 'Do it again!' Pictures to come!

Emily

2 comments:

  1. Isaac actually gets them a lot. I heard somewhere that they are also a sign of the brain making connections at night while your baby is growing. Our ped. said to leave him alone and let him just cry it out to get back to sleep. If we pick Isaac up, he'll be up for the rest of the night, and usually the crying doesn't last more than 5-10 minutes. The funny ones are when he just lets out one blood curling screma and then goes right back to sleep like nothing happened. Freaked us out the first time. Adam came up with this genious idea that I'm going to try to market. It's a baby monitor with a snooze button. Basically, we can hit the "snooze" and turn the monitor off for just 10 minutes and see if Isaac goes back to sleep without any intervention. Plus, we don't have to hear him screaming at 3:55 AM like this morning. I am seriously thinking about building a prototype. Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hadley will sometimes let out a solitary cry and then go back to sleep. It is actually really cute. I bet the snooze button would work for tuning out noisy interference too! For some reason, the interference we get wakes us up more than Hadley does! --Amanda

    ReplyDelete