Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Finger Foods

Has anyone started finger foods yet? If so, what did you start with and how did you introduce it? I don't think Hadley is quite ready yet, but I think she will be within the next few months. She is starting to try to grab the oatmeal/babyfood off the spoon--which does not usually work out so well for her or her outfit.

--Amanda

3 comments:

  1. We started giving Laine some of the Gerber finger foods first... she LOVES the puffs and yogurt melts. Recently, I've started letting her try other things... little pieces of banana, wheat bread, tortilla, cheerios. From what I've heard they can have pretty much anything that can be broken into soft, small pieces and is not a common allergen (peanuts, corn, and strawberries).

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are working with Andrew to put things in his mouth, toys are finally finding their way in, but not so much with food. We tried puff, but he gagged on them. Which I have heard is pretty common for babies with their first attemps to finger food. So we switch gears a little bit and started with a mesh teether. He sucked a banana right out of it, and since it is mess there is no danger in him choking on pieces that are too large or slimy to swallow. He hasn't quite got the hang of holding the feeder to his mouth yet, but it is a start that he is sucking the food out. I have heard this works really well with teething in general. We put on ice cube in there and he didn't knwo quite what to make of it...he will get there it will just take some practice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah we've used the mesh feeder once for Molly with frozen banana and she LOVED it! it will be a good backup to use if we're out at a restaurant and she won't stop trying to get our food! (happens quite often) once she starts crawling I'll try out the puffs

    Emily

    ReplyDelete