Sunday, August 22, 2010

Adventures in Bottle Feeding

So we have had an interesting couple of weeks with feeding. Hadley has all of a sudden decided that bottles are for babies and that she is not a baby. We were feeding her five bottles a day (all of which she was scarfing down)until a couple of weeks ago, then she stopped getting hungry for the second bottle. That was fine, we just went to a 4-bottle-a-day schedule (which we were ecstatic about because that meant that we had enough bottles that we only had to wash bottles every other day). But now the past couple of weeks she will drink 2 or 3 oz. of a bottle and then she will flat out refuse to drink any more. She will eat solids until she bursts, but no bottle. At first I thought she was teething, but she isn't really acting like she is in that much pain. Then I thought she had an ear infection. I took her to the doctor. The doctor said her ears were a little red and she used a tool to measure the thickness of the fluid. But the doctor said she didn't have a full-blown ear infection yet, it just looked like she was starting to get one--so we put her on antibiotics.

We thought she was doing better for a few days, but now she is back to refusing bottles. We have been trying everything! Warm bottles, cold bottles, bought higher nipple levels so she would not have to suck as hard, tried a sippy cup with and without the spill-proof valve. We have ended up just mixing her formula with her food most of the time, but there is only so much you can mix in before it gets too thin. This is really frustrating! The problem is that she is not getting enough fluids by only drinking a couple of ounces at each meal, and I don't want her to get dehydrated or constipated. Constipation has been an issue already. Finally, tonight, I got frustrated and just took the nipple and lid off the bottle and held it up to her mouth like a cup. And I will have you know she drank the whole darn thing, and wanted more!

I don't know about you guys, but I am really looking forward to her being able to tell us what she wants, because sometimes it takes me forever to figure things out, and then when I finally figure out what she wants, it seems so simple like I should have known it the whole time!

P.S.--Hadley is saying mama now! It is totally indiscriminate, and she has absolutely no idea what she is saying, but I just love it!

--Amanda

2 comments:

  1. I'm totally going to try the cup thing because Laine has been doing the exact same thing! She is squirmy and wiggly and just doesn't seem to want to eat it. Does anyone have suggestions for good sippy cups, too? Laine likes to chew on hers but she has to suck too hard and tip it back really far to get much out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly LOVES drinking from a straw. I bought her 2 Munchkin brand cups with lids and straws and she goes to town. I have only put water in them so far but we thought about trying expressed milk to see if she'll take that at a feeding. She started refusing bottles right before I was done working (Todd would have to bring her to school) so now that I'm not working, she hasn't had a bottle in almost 4 months! In the beginning she could suck the water out but would forget to swallow, ending up spitting it all over whatever she was wearing, but now she's good! Our babies are getting so old!!!

    ReplyDelete